August 10, 2012

The Acquisition Process Flow

The theme of this blog relates to my thought process for getting interested in stuff. I thought that a self-explanatory flow chart would make sense. When I preview this post, however, the image of the flow chart is blurry. It might be readable if you click on it; I'm not sure. So this might be a failed experiment.

Even though I said the flow chart is self-explanatory, let me explain. The process begins with a seed of curiosity, which may come from a friend, a news article, a real world experience, a TV commercial, another blog, an Internet forum, etc. For instance, my interest in Japanese denim jeans came from a post I read on Head-Fi of all places. The seed germinates into a round of preliminary research that determines whether or not I remain at least somewhat interested in the topic. If not, I'll just spend more time on Head-Fi, no worries. If so, the initial research becomes a whole lotta research, which typically makes me want to acquire one or more items (pens, ridiculously spendy jeans, headphones, whatever).

A normal person would just pull the trigger and buy something, especially if it's inexpensive like, say, a PEN that costs a buck fifty. Not me. I tend to get stuck in a loop of analysis paralysis during which additional research is performed before ultimately making a purchase. My theory is that informed consuming is the only way to go to prevent buyer's remorse and to ensure that you are getting the best possible product for whatever your budget might be. This sounds great in theory. In practice, however, it can become difficult for me to follow the "No" branch of the analysis paralysis decision box. Because I'm cheap. And because I know that I spend too much money on things that most people find stupid, compulsive, and/or excessive.

So there you have it. This is my process.

Update (about two hours after making this post): I am currently in the "Perform In-Depth Research" step regarding shaved ice machines. LOL, there goes my morning.

1 comment:

  1. I too am blessed with the esoteric ability to determine, after thorough analysis, the item which represents best value in any category...labeled obsessive compulsive disorder by those that lack this ability. Whatever the case, I have fine items that were acquired at low cost…if I don't count the value of my time during the analysis paralysis phase.
    Now that I have young children I must make a conscience effort to maximise the time I spend with my kids and only unleash my special ability for high cost acquisitions such as a vehicle or appliance purchase, and not squander it on fickle items like mechanical pencils. That being said, I own an extensive collection of fine mechanical pencils, all acquired after extensive analysis before each purchase. My wife teases me about my mechanical pencil collection, and I understand why.

    ReplyDelete