July 28, 2014

Platinum Pro-Use Drafting Pencil

I acquired yet another mechanical drafting pencil. I really had a moment of weakness here. I don't even use pencils that often, and I certainly didn't need a new one. That said, I have no regret or buyer's remorse because the Platinum Pro-Use is super cool. Just look at the thing:


I don't remember how much I paid, but the Internet tells me that this pencil is now going for about 15 dollars. That's a lot for a pencil, but the Pro-Use is very well made and sturdy, and the fit and finish is great. I opted for the 0.5 mm size (0.3 mm and 0.7 mm sizes are also available), which has become my standard lead size. Platinum is nice enough to provide a big fat lead size reminder on the tail cap:


Although Platinum probably has a better reputation for its fountain pens, I'm impressed here. I really like the brushed metal finish of this pencil, and the overall "look, I'm a rocket ship" design aesthetic. The grip is fat and meaty, and it features some groovy channels that wick away your sweat during those aggressive penciling sessions. If I'm honest, I think that the grip section ought to be a little longer (extending further up the body). Other than that, I have no complaints. The pencil is well balanced, not too heavy and not too light, and it has a lead hardness indicator above the grip section. I assume that this is important to people who pencil for a living.


Even though I don't use this writing instrument that much - perhaps only two pieces of lead so far - I still recommend it highly. If you are a fan of mechanical or drafting pencils and/or you collect shiny metal objects, then check out the Platinum Pro-Use.

No comments:

Post a Comment