March 18, 2014

Pilot Hi-Tec-C Maica: Bling-Bling Pen!

I recently placed an order with one of my favorite online vendors, and needed to buy a little something extra to get free shipping. A few minutes and US$2.50 later, this gem of a pen was added to my order: Pilot Hi-Tec-C Maica (Blue-Black color).


Backstory . . . I'm a big fan of the Hi-Tec-C pens. I was really liking my Hi-Tec-C Coleto pen until I discovered that the refills don't behave nicely if they don't get regular use (I assume that the tips dry out and get clogged). I only have one traditional Hi-Tec-C pen, but its 0.3 mm tip is too fine and scratchy for me. So, when I saw this Hi-Tec-C variant for sale, my goal was to buy a 0.4 mm version to replace the 0.3 mm pen. The excitement of buying a new pen must have been too much to handle, and I suffered a major shopping cart failure.


I accidentally ordered a 0.3 mm version of the Maica pen. Of course, it writes just like my other 0.3 mm Hi-Tec-C, which means I don't like it. As luck would have it, my daughter loves this bejeweled Hi-Tec-C, and she doesn't mind the needle tip. So I gifted the pen to her.

The Maica really is a pretty pen. It has aristocratic script on the body, a shiny colored body that matches the ink color, and a clear cap. Just look at the faceted gem-like flair that resides at the top of the cap:


OK, I can see why some uber-masculine writers may feel threatened and challenged by this sparkly writing instrument. Understood. That said, the pen IS rather handsome and it has an elegant design to it. The grip section is a little thicker than the standard Hi-Tec-C, which creates a better fit for large manly hands. The grip section also featrues some plastic knurling, which sets it apart from the standard Hi-Tec-C grip.

By the way, the pen uses standard Hi-Tec-C refills, which means there are a million colors and tip sizes from which to choose. The next time I place an order, I'll be careful to select a 0.4 mm or 0.5 mm version, with extra bling if available.

1 comment:

  1. I'm male and not even close to feeling threatened by this awesome pen. Like you said, the grip is great, especially for English teachers who need a little more precision!

    ReplyDelete